Jeffery City

Jeffery City was originally settled as a homestead in 1930 by a former WWI vet under the name Home on the Ranch. During the 50’s the American government was worried about it’s Uranium supplies compared to other countries and began initiatives to aid the discovery of domestic sources. In 1954 a man named Bob Adams detected Uranium in the hills North of Rawlins. In 1957 he started Western Nuclear Corporation. Western Nuclear, like most mining companies, was required to house it’s miners so Adams built a trailer town and named it Jeffery City after his main investor Dr C. W. Jeffery. The town grew steadily with schools, churches and swimming pools being introduced as the population increased.

Garry Loughlin photography phosmag online magazine

© Garry Loughlin

Garry Loughlin photography phosmag online magazine

© Garry Loughlin

Garry Loughlin photography phosmag online magazine

© Garry Loughlin

The population of the town peaked at over 4000 in the 1980, the year the Uranium bubble burst. Western Nuclear began laying people off and due to the fact that mining was the only industry of the town there was a mass exist. Besides a few half-hearted attempts to breath life back into the town it never recovered and has been left to ruin. Today a small number of people still reside in the area, many of which wish to remain unknown, even to locals.

 

Garry Loughlin is an Irish photographer based in Brussels. He studied photography at Dun Laoighaire IADT Dublin. After graduating Garry’s professional practice focused mainly in architectural and interior photography. In 2012 he began to focus on the development of his own documentary and editorial practice. Since then Garry has exhibited in group shows throughout Europe and in 2013 had his first solo exhibition with A Farewell to Arms. Between Spaces, released at the end of 2014, is Garry’s first publication. He currently works on assignments and commissions between Belgium and Ireland.

 

all images and text © Garry Loughlin

Garry Loughlin