Beit Hakerem was founded in 1922 during the days of the British Mandate; the area was planned by Richard Kaufmann, an architect notable for his Bauhaus style.
The neighborhood’s name was based on the verse in Nehemiah 3:14: “the dung gate was repaired by Malchiah the son of Rehab the ruler of part of Beit Hakerem, he undertook to build it and set up the doors, locks and bars thereof“.
Beit Hakerem was the first Jewish neighborhood to be built in South West Jerusalem and it was at the time separated from the rest of the city by large swaths of undeveloped land.
Today the neighborhood ha changed significantly and it’s now a central location between Mount Herzl to the west and Kyriath Moshe to the north.
The neighborhood is close to the Hebrew University campus at Givat Ram, the Knesset and the Supreme Court. Its population is about 15,000.
Get a copy of the zine here
Antler Press is a small independent publisher.
Please note: all images and texts are protected by Copyright and belong to the Artist.